Catch Me If You Can
An Ohio man found out the hard way when he was stopped at a drive through while riding his mower. He was planning to pick up a pizza, he told officers, who ticketed him for driving without a license.
While he wasn’t drunk, there were outstanding warrants for his arrest, so he was taken into custody and his mower was towed.
A riding mower is not a motor vehicle, said that court, at least as far as the auto theft statute went.
And in North Carolina, if a riding mower crashes into your car, good luck getting your insurance to cover an uninsured motorist accident: In some states, riding mowers are excluded from the definition of motor vehicles for insurance purposes.
Here is what you need to know in Australia if you need to ride your Mower on the road
Conditional registration (Roads & Maritime)
Non-complying vehicles are only offered conditional registration if it is safe to do so and a complying vehicle cannot perform the function.
The following factors are considered when deciding an Application for Conditional Registration and the conditions that are applied to the registration:
- The nature and extent of any failure of the vehicle to meet applicable vehicle standards
- The safety of:
- The vehicle operator
- The vehicle’s passengers (if any)
- The vehicle mixing with other normal complying vehicles
- The vehicle mixing with pedestrians
- Time of day or night of operation
- Special considerations relating to the area of operation (if any).
Note: Operators of oversize and overmass vehicles must also comply with the conditions of the relevant access notice or permit. For more information contact Special Permits Unit on 1300 656 371 for intrastate permits, and the National Heavy Vehicle Regulator on 1300 696 487 for interstate permits.
- Lawn mowers weighing less than 250kg used for mowing lawns are exempt from registration.
- All lighting must be fitted as near as possible to the position specified in Schedule 2 of the Road Transport (Vehicle Registration) Regulation 2007.